The PT-76 is a Soviet amphibious light tank that was introduced in the early 1950s and soon became the standard reconnaissance tank of the Soviet Army and the other Warsaw Pact armed forces. It is used in the reconnaissance and fire-support roles, and was widely exported to other friendly states, like India, Iraq, Syria, North Korea and North Vietnam. The tank’s full name is Floating Tank–76 (плавающий танк, plavayushchiy tank, or ПТ-76). 76 stands for the caliber of the main armament: the 76.2mm D-56T series rifled tank gun.
After World War II, the concept of light tanks was resurrected in the USSR. They were to be used in reconnaissance units and therefore an amphibious ability with little preparation was essential. Many prototypes were built in the late 1940s, the most successful was “объект 740” (Object 740). The vehicle was successful because it had a simple design, good navigational traits and a good cross country capability. At the time, its water-jet design was innovative.
- Option to build either a PT-76 or PT-76B with waterline option
- Choice of two muzzle brakes & optional DShK 1938 HMG
- Open or closed crew hatches & rear hydro jet outlet lids
- Trim board in extended or stowed position
- Highly detailed track links
- Tank crew included